Stats NZ has a new website.

For new releases go to

www.stats.govt.nz

As we transition to our new site, you'll still find some Stats NZ information here on this archive site.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
2013 Census ethnic group profiles:
Polish
Households and families

Households

For people identifying with the Polish ethnic group living in households in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:

  • The most common type of household was one-family households, with or without other people (81.0 percent), followed by one-person households (10.1 percent), and other multi-person households (4.9 percent).
Household composition
Polish ethnic group and European ethnic groups, and New Zealand population
2013 Census

  Polish European NZ population
Household composition Percent
One-family household (with or without other people) 81.0 81.1 78.8
Two-family household (with or without other people) 4.1 3.8 6.7
Three or more family household (with or without other people) 0.0 0.2 0.8
Other multi-person household (eg flatting situation) 4.9 4.5 4.8
One-person household 10.1 10.4 8.9
Total people in households 100.0 100.0 100.0

Note: The ethnic group percentages for people in households exclude people away from home on census night. The New Zealand population percentages are based on all people in households, including all people who were away from home on census night.
Source: Statistics New Zealand


Families

For people identifying with the Polish ethnic group living in families in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:

  • 77.7 percent lived as members of a family, compared with 76.5 percent in 2006.
  • Of those living in a family situation, most lived in a couple with child(ren) family (53.2 percent).
Family type
Polish and European ethnic groups, and New Zealand population
2013 Census
Family type, specified ethnic groups and New Zealand population, 2013 Census


Extended families

For people identifying with the Polish ethnic group living in extended families in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:

  • The proportion who lived as an extended family (6.8 percent) was lower than for the total New Zealand population (11.7 percent). The proportion for the total European ethnic group was 6.8 percent.

Dependent children

For people identifying with the Polish ethnic group living in families in New Zealand on 5 March 2013:

  • There were 426 dependent children (aged under 18 years and not employed full time).
  • Of these, 78.9 percent of dependent children lived in a two-parent family, with the rest living in a family with one parent (21.1 percent).

 

Note: These sections combine personal characteristics with the characteristics of the household or family a person is a part of. They count people. People in the same household or family can belong to different ethnic groups.

A household is either one person who usually lives alone, or two or more people who usually live together and share facilities (such as for eating, cooking, or a living area; and bathroom and toilet) in a private dwelling.

A family consists of a couple living in the same household, with or without children, or one parent and their children.

An extended family is a group of related people who usually live together, and which consists of a family and one or more related people; or two or more related families, with or without other related people.

This data has been randomly rounded to protect confidentiality. Individual figures may not add up to totals, and values for the same data may vary in text, tables, and graphs. The accuracy of percentages may be affected by this rounding, particularly for ethnic groups with small populations.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Top
  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+