Stats NZ has a new website.

For new releases go to

www.stats.govt.nz

As we transition to our new site, you'll still find some Stats NZ information here on this archive site.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Dependent young people

Over 90,000 families have dependent young people

Information on dependent young people (aged 18–24 years, not employed full-time, and living with at least one parent) has become a topic of general interest, and the 2013 Census put together data on these people for the first time.

In 2013, 91,074 families included dependent young people. Within these families were 105,765 dependent young people.

Most families with dependent young people were couples with children (69.7 percent). The remaining one-third (30.3 percent) were one parent with children families.

Just over half of dependent young people were in full-time study, and 6.5 percent were studying part-time. A further 40.5 percent were not studying.

Of dependent young people, 39.5 percent were employed part-time. A further 21.4 percent were unemployed (actively seeking work), while 39.1 percent were not in the labour force.

Study participation and work and labour force status of dependent young people(1)
2013 Census  
Work and labour force status(2)  Study participation(2) 
Full-time study  Part-time study  Full-time and part-time study  Not studying  Total stated  Not stated  Total dependent young people 
Employed part-time  21,066  2,988  15  13,026  37,098  918  38,013 
Unemployed  6,639  1,149  11,817  19,608  984  20,592 
Not in the labour force 21,054  1,860  12,489  35,415  2,151  37,563 
Total dependent young people  48,759  6,000  27  37,335  92,118  4,050  96,168(2) 

1. Aged 18–24 years, not employed full-time, and living with at least one parent.

2. Not available for dependent young people who were absent from their usual residence on census night.

Source: Statistics New Zealand 

Of those dependent young people who were in full-time study, 43.2 percent were employed part-time, and the same proportion were not in the labour force.

Of those dependent young people who were in part-time study, half were employed part-time, 19.2 percent were unemployed, and 31.0 percent were not in the labour force.

Of those dependent young people who were not studying, around one-third each were either employed part-time, or unemployed, or not in the labour force.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Top
  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+