Stats NZ has a new website.

For new releases go to

www.stats.govt.nz

As we transition to our new site, you'll still find some Stats NZ information here on this archive site.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Growth and development in the industry

Businesses were asked to indicate whether they felt a number of factors were contributors or barriers to financial growth. Businesses were also asked to indicate the likelihood, over the next 12 months, of increasing their activity in a number of areas.

Information is for the 2008 financial year, and for the 2008 financial year compared with the 2007 financial year unless otherwise stated.

Growth indicators 

  • 83 percent of businesses in the screen industry felt that availability of technology and resources was a contributor or major contributor to financial growth. 
  • 71 percent of screen industry businesses felt that the following were all contributors or major contributors to financial growth: availability of skilled employees, the ability to attract funding or clients from overseas and from New Zealand, and the cost of local resources. 
  • Of businesses in the distribution, exhibition, and broadcasting sectors, 65 percent felt availability of technology and resources was a contributor or major contributor to growth, compared with 88 percent of screen production companies and 83 percent of contractors. 
  • Factors that businesses felt were most likely to be barriers to financial growth were strength of competition and the regulatory environment. Just over half of businesses identified each of these factors as a barrier or major barrier.

 Factors Affecting Financial Growth

Vacancies 

Businesses that indicated that availability of skilled employees was a barrier or major barrier to growth were asked to list up to three job types they felt were difficult to fill. 

  • Editors, directors and camera operators were among the most commonly stated vacancies that were difficult to fill.

Areas of growth 

Businesses were asked to indicate whether they felt they were likely, highly likely or unlikely to increase activity in a number of areas over the following financial year. 

  • More than a quarter (28 percent) of businesses believed they were highly likely to increase their use of digital technology over the next year. Additionally, 31 percent of businesses indicated they were likely to increase their use of digital technology. In total, 59 percent of businesses were either likely or highly likely to increase their use of digital technology. 
  • More than one-third (36 percent) of businesses indicated they were likely to develop the skills of their existing labour force. A further 17 percent of businesses thought it was highly likely they would develop existing labour over the coming year. 
  • Only 20 percent of businesses said they were likely to attract additional funding or clients from overseas, and only 9 percent thought this highly likely.

Cost movements 

Businesses were asked for their perceptions of whether or not average costs had increased or decreased over the financial year. 

  • For average overall crew costs, one-third of businesses felt costs had increased over the past year, 29 percent felt they had either decreased or stayed the same, and a further 38 percent had no opinion on this. 
  • Nearly one-third of businesses also felt that both the use of digital technology and production services had increased in cost over the previous financial year.

See tables 29–43 under Available files for more information on growth and development in the screen industry.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Top
  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+